Monday, 21 January 2013

Wishes Quotes



I've wished for things and never really had the chance...It's time to stop dreaming and do something about it. You've got to know what you want, then...go.”

Wishing, like sipping a glass of punch, or pulling aside a bearskin rug in order to access a hidden trapdoor in the floor, is merely a quiet way to spend one's time before the candles are extinguished on one's birthday cake.”

Man wants but little here below Nor wants that little long," 'Tis not with me exactly so; But 'tis so in the song. My wants are many, and, if told, Would muster many a score; And were each wish a mint of gold, I still should long for more.”


“If I live to grow old, as I find I go down, Let this be my fate in a country town; May I have a warm house, with a stone at my gate, And a cleanly young girl to rub my bald pate. May I govern my passions with an absolute sway, Grow wiser and better as my strength wears away, Without gout or stone, by a gentle decay. - Walter Pope, The Old Man's Wish,”


“May you have love that never ends, lots of money and lots of friends. Health be yours, whatever you do and may God send many blessings to you.”
He calls his wish, it comes; he sends it back, And says he called another; that arrives, Meets the same welcome; yet he still calls on; Till one calls him, who varies not his call, But holds him fast, in chains of darkness bound, Till Nature dies, and judgment sets him free; A freedom far less welcome than this chain.”


Sometimes things become possible if we want them bad enough.”


Wish on everything. Pink cars are good, especially old ones. And stars of course, first stars and shooting stars. Planes will do if they are the first light in the sky and look like stars. Wish in tunnels, holding your breath and lifting your feet off the ground. Birthday candles. Baby teeth.”


Wishes of one's old life wither and shrivel like old leaves if they are not replaced with new wishes when the world changes. And the world always changes. Wishes get slimy, and their colors fade, and soon they are just mud, like all the rest of the mud, and not wishes at all, but regrets. The trouble is, not everyone can tell when they ought to launder their wishes. Even when one finds oneself in Fairyland and not at home at all, it is not always so easy to remember to catch the world in it's changing and change with it.”


Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”


“Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.”


“What one has wished for in youth, in old age one has in abundance. [Ger., Was man in der Jugend wunscht, hat man im Alter die Fulle.


“I've often wished that I had clear, For life, six hundred pounds a year, A handsome house to lodge a friend, A river at my garden's end, A terrace walk, and half a rood Of land, set out to plant a wood.” 

Man wants but little, nor that little long; How soon must he resign his very dust, Which frugal nature lent him for an hour!”


''It is not so much our friends' help that helps us as the confident knowledge that they will help us.''


''When your friend speaks his mind your fear not the nay in your own mind, nor do you withhold the ay.''
''And when h is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart.'
''For without words, in friendship, all thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born and shared with you that is unclaimed.
''When you part from your friend you grieve not,
''For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain.''


Love is like the wild rose-briar,
Friendship like the holly-tree.
The holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms,
But which will bloom most constantly?''


'If friend of mine gave feast and did not invite me to it I should not mind a bit...........
But if....a friend of mine had a sorrow and refused to allow me to share it, I should feel it most bitterly, If he shut the doors of the house of mourning against me, I would move back again and again and beg to be admitted, so that I might share in what I was entitled to share. If he thought me unworthy unfit to weep with him, I should feel it as the most terrible mode for which disgrace could be inflicted on me.........'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts