Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Famous Philosophy Quotes



If you've never met a student from the University of Chicago, I'll describe him to you. If you give him a glass of water, he says, ''This is a glass of water. But is it a glass of water? And if it is a glass of water why is it a glass of water? And eventually he dies of thirst.
{Shelley Berman}
What is the first business of philosophy? To part with self.. conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks that he already knows.
{Epictetus, Discourses}
Philosophy is a state of fermentation, a process without final outcome.
{Esa Saarinen}
To ridicule philosophy is really to philosophize.
{Blaise Pascal, Pensees, 1670}
We come late, if at all, to wine and philosophy whiskey and action are easier.
{Mignon McLaughlim, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960}
Philosophy will clip an angel's wings,
Conquer all mysteries by rule and line,
Empty the haunted air, and gnomed mine... Unweave a rainbow.
{John Keats, ''Lamia,'' 1819}
Religion is a man using a divining rod. Philosophy is a man using a pick and shovel.
{Author Unknown}
I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam;
I looked into the soul of another boy.
{Woody Allen}
I also realized that philosophers, far from ridding me of my vain doubts, only multiplied the doubts that tormented me and failed to remove any one of them. So I chose another guide and said, Let me follow the Inner Light; it will not lead me so far astray as others have done, or if it does it will be my own fault, and I shall not go so far wrong if I follow my own illusions as if I trusted to their deceits.
{Jean Jacques Rousseau}
Learning Zen is a phenomenon of gold and dung. Before you understand it, it's like gold, after you understand it, it's like dung.
{Zen Saying}
Philosophy triumphs easily over past evils and future evils; but present evils triumph over it.
{La Rochefoucauld, Maxims, 1678}
Philosophy: A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.
{Ambrose Bierce, The Enlarged Devil's Dictionary}
It's easy nough to titter w'en de stew is smokin hot,
But hit's mighty ha'd to giggle w'en dey's nuffin' in de pot.
{Paul Laurence Dunbar, Philosophy}
Philosophy is the highest music.
{Plato, Phaedo}
It is a great advantage for a system of philosophy to be substantially true.
{Santayana, The Unknowable}
For there was never yet philosopher
That could endure the toothache patiently,
{Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing V, 1}
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio
They are dreamt of in your philosophy.
{Shakespeare, Hamlei, I, 5}

RELATED PHILOSOPHY QUOTES

Philosophy Quotes
Famous Philosophy Quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts