Friday, 8 March 2013

Tears Quotes



It is the wisdom of crocodiles, that shed rears when they would devour.
{Francis Bacon, Essays}
Every tear from every eye Becomes a babe in eternity.
{Blake, Auguries of Innocence}
So bright the tear in Beauty's eye, Love half regrets to kiss it dry,
{Byron, The Bride of Abydos}
''I weep for you,'' the Walrus said: ''I deeply sympathize,'' With sobs and tears he sorted out Those of the largest size, Holding his pocket-handkerchief Before his streaming eyes,
{Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass}
Nothing is lost that's wrought with rears: The music that you make below Is now the music of the spheres.
{John Davidson, A Ballad of Heaven}
Weep not, my wanton, smile upon my knee, When thou art old there's grief enough for thee.
{Robert Greene, Song from Menaphon}
She would have made a splendid wife, for crying only made her eyes more bright and tender.
{O. Henry, Options}
She by the river sat, and sitting there, She wept, and made it deeper by a tear.
{Herrick, Upon Julia, Weeping}
My tears must stop, for every drop Hinders needle and thread.
{Thomas Hood, The Song of the Shirt}
If you would have me weep, you must feel grief yourself. (Si vis me ftere,...)
{Horace, Ars Poetica}
Thrice he assay'd, and thrice, in spite of scom, Tears, such as angels weep, burst forth.
{Milton, Paradise Lost, I}
If you have tears, prepare to shed them now.
{Shakespeare, Julius Caesar, III, 2}
Tears, idle tears, I know not what they mean, Tears from the depth of some divine despair Rise in the heart, and gather to the eyes, In looking on the happy autumn-fields, And thinking of the days that are no more.
{Tennyson, The Princess}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts